Monday 18 May 2009

Exceedingly Burnt Cakes

"When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a Battenberg, they have all one rank in my eyes." ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Monty finally proved his 'pro-active' mettle in August 1997, with his participation in our daring broad daylight assault on the Mr Kipling's Cakes factory, near Smethwick. To the rest of the world, Mr Kipling was a loveable old man, spending his twilight years selflessly baking cakes for the good of humanity. To us militant low-carbers, however, he was the evil mastermind behind a thousand glycemic excursions.

Armed with only a makeshift flamethrower, some industrial-strength fireworks and an awful lot of furious anger, we successfully halted cake production for several hours. I Then, perhaps somewhat inevitably, set my own beard alight. Monty, spooked by my new 'flame-grilled' look, ran away; leaving me to suffer the agony of having a van load of policemen extinguish my burning beard using only truncheons and pepper spray.